EMS Continuing Education
The Indiana University Health Emergency Response Training Institute, in collaboration with Methodist Trauma Services, Cardiovascular, Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, and Neuroscience, has developed an EMS Continuing Education Program for Indiana's EMS Professionals. IU Health is committed to supporting the delivery of Emergency Medical Services to Indiana communities and the continuous quality improvement of pre-hospital care within the State. The IU Health EMS Continuing Education Program offers educational opportunities utilizing the following instructional methodologies:
- Computer simulation
- State of the art patient simulation that allows providers to experience realistic, challenging, and comprehensive patient interactions.
- Seminars and workshops featuring informal lecture formats and medical procedure training.
- Distance learning, incorporating the use of a learning management system for the delivery of didactic education.
The mission of the EMS Continuing Education Program is to provide pre-hospital professionals with educational opportunities to obtain the skills, knowledge and behaviors needed to provide preeminent patient care in the pre-hospital, emergency setting with compassion, respect, professionalism, and competence.
The EMS Continuing Education Program will provide quality EMS continuing education to Indiana EMS Professionals that will improve the health of Indiana University Health patients and communities.
- By continually striving to improve patient health and wellness.
- By being the leader in EMS education through the delivery of patient-centered, evidence-based patient care education and training.
- By delivering education to pre-hospital practitioners based on innovative science and nationally accepted standards of care, utilizing a variety of educational formats and strategies.
- By implementing a system of continuous quality improvement for educational offerings, which critically measures the achievement of educational outcomes and proactively assesses the needs of pre-hospital care providers.
- By actively reviewing EMS research data and seeking EMS research opportunities to advance the knowledge of pre-hospital providers, improving the delivery of effective and innovative care to Indiana citizens.
- By connecting national experts within the Indiana University Health System with pre-hospital practitioners, fostering effective communication, cooperation, and responsibility to improve each and every patient’s continuum of care.